26 November 2006

I Am Questioning Rangel's Devotion To This Country

Here is a quote from Representative Charlie Rangel, the man who has once again called for conscription, on Fox News, via Hot Air.
I want to make it abundantly clear: if there’s anyone who believes that these youngsters want to fight, as the Pentagon and some generals have said, you can just forget about it. No young, bright individual wants to fight just because of a bonus and just because of educational benefits. And most all of them come from communities of very, very high unemployment. If a young fella has an option of having a decent career or joining the army to fight in Iraq, you can bet your life that he would not be in Iraq.
Sorry, Charlie, but I'd go and serve in the Marine Corps again, even in Iraq, if I were given the opportunity. See, Chuck, I have a decent career and life (I'm a data analyst with a wife, kid, and house in the burbs). Even considering all of that, I'd go back to the Corps if I could get a waiver for my disability.

Let me provide a little background for you here, Chuckles. I left college after my first year to join the United States Marine Corps. I did it because my family has a long and proud military history, because I love this nation of ours, and because I wanted to do something more fulfilling than sitting through a typical college lecture. I love the Corps, but I had an unfortunate little accident that resulted in cellulitis, gangrene, and probable osteomyelitis to my right foot. The doctors at the Naval hospital were able to save my foot, but not my career. I was tossed on the TDRL, and five years later I was separated from the Marine Corps.

I went through school after that, and I eventually ended up with an associates degree. That degree wasn't in the field I am in currently, but I managed to work my way to where I am now.

Life isn't a cakewalk currently, but it would be much more difficult if I went back into the Corps at my last pay grade. Given that, I would still jump at the opportunity to put on the uniform again and serve in the Marine Corps. My wife doesn't like that concept, but she has said that she would support me in such an endeavor because she knows how much the Marine Corps means to me.

I want to serve again, Chuckie, because I want a better world for my daughter, nieces, nephews, and all the kids in my neighborhood. I will fight if I must, Chuck-a-ding-dong, because the enemy must be engaged and stopped. My community has never been one of high unemployment, Charlita, but that won't matter to you because it doesn't fit in with your propaganda. And you should consider yourself lucky, Chuck-head, that young men and women are willing to serve in the military so that your fat, lazy, worthless tail can sit in a position of power and denigrate them.

Representative Charles Rangel, after hearing the recent statement of yours that I have quoted above, and upon hearing your desire to once again call for legislation supporting a draft, I question your love of, and devotion to, this Country. You seem to value any opportunity for political gain over what is best for America.

If I were to get back in the Corps, I'd fight for all Americans, including you, Rangel. For now, however, I will do whatever I can to work against your apparently unpatriotic tail.

USMC 9971 OUT

No comments: