25 March 2010

Looks Like I've Lost My First Acquaintance Over Obamacare

She is a friend of my sister, I have known her since we were kids, and she is a raging lefty. We rarely spoke with or saw each other prior to this, so the biggest impact of this loss will be when my sister (also a lefty) decides to chastise me for not being nice. Not that I wasn't nice, but I'm sure that since my sister's friend was likely offended by my position that Obamacare is de facto theft, I will probably be labeled as mean.

Since Obamacare passed, I have been posting quotes from our Founding Fathers on a social networking site. Yesterday morning I posted the following quote from Jefferson:
"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, 'the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, and the fruits acquired by it.'"

Thomas Jefferson, 06 April 1816
This acquaintance decided to get a bit snarky with me and leave a bible verse comment on my post that she felt would be a good counter to the above Jefferson quote. It was "What you do to the least of my brothers, you do unto me." She stated that she couldn't resist and closed with a smiley.

We exchanged a few back-and-forth comments until she asked how providing universal health care was stealing. I tore into that one, and closed by telling her that, if the law stands, I will do everything that I can to pay in as little as possible, overburden the system as much as possible, and undermine Obamacare with any legal means at my disposal. She decided not to continue the disagreement after that, and said that she was "glad [she] won't ever have to live in a country run by [my] philosophy."

Wouldn't it be horrible to live in a country run by a philosophy that a person takes care of himself and his own without having government take from others to provide that care, that a person is responsible for his own choices and actions, that government is limited and rarely involved with the day-to-day lives of the citizenry, and that a person may actually keep the fruits of his own labors? Only a lefty would dislike that sort of philosophy.

As Patrick Henry once said, if I hold back my opinions at this time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself guilty of treason towards my country. This issue is too important to our nation and our children for me not to be engaged, and because of that I will not concern myself that I may become estranged from friends and family over any opposing views on Obamacare.

USMC 9971 OUT

No comments: