03 March 2009

Taxes For Thee, But Not For Me

Tim Geithner, Tom Daschle, Nancy Killefer, and now Ron Kirk.

Ron Kirk, nominated as U.S. Trade Representative in the Obama administration, owes an estimated $10,000 in back taxes from earlier in the decade and has agreed to make his payments, the Senate Finance Committee said Monday.
What the hell is it with President "Everyone Must Sacrifice" Obama that he is continuously selecting people with these tax issues? Is the concept of finally paying taxes what the current administration considers "sacrifice" for their nominees?

Last year I had to pay a fine to the state because we didn't have enough withheld. I was off on withholding by four dollars, and I had to pay a damned fine. I wasn't late in paying the government. I didn't fail to pay the government. I was penalized because I didn't give the government enough of my money in advance.

Yet, while I was fined for a $4 shortage on my withholding, a privileged elitist like Ron Kirk, who is sitting before the Senate for his confirmation hearing, has the luxury to now agree to make payments on his $10,000 in back taxes from earlier in the decade. It must be nice to be one of the more equal animals.

USMC 9971 OUT

No comments: